Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 245: On the other side

I'm sure a lot of people really think this is weird. People just don't go around asking to pray for other people. It's just not, well, normal. I'm OK with that. I think the last thing anyone would want to be is "normal." God made each of us different, and if the end result of our lives is we successfully just blended into the crowd, I think we missed something. We missed a calling that each of has from God.

So this was bound to happen. I pulled into the gas stall next to a young guy, probably in his 20s, who was just finishing filling up with gas. I stepped around the gas pump, and asked him my question. He focused on the numbers on the pump as he topped off his tank. Then he looked at me. "Huh?" So I asked again. He considered this for a moment. "Well," he said, "I guess you can. But over there -- " he pointed to the other side of the pump. "You can pray some sort of blessing for me over there."

That was a new one. I could pray a blessing for him, but just not in his presence. But who was I to argue? I told him I would do just what he told me. So I walked back around the pump and prayed. As he got in his car, he said, "God bless you!" I prayed that God would bless him in some dramatic, newspaper-headlining way -- so he would know without the shadow of a doubt that it was God at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment