Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 229: Yes ... no

It was an interesting one. When I came across the man -- a short guy about 50 years old, smoking a cigarette next to the Hotel at Old Town -- he was very friendly. I asked him my question, and he said, "Absolutely." He looked right at me, very interested in what I had to say.

I explained my project to him, and he nodded, still interested. "Well, I'm a Christian," he said. "Great," I told him, "I've encountered a lot of them on this project." I don't know if it was that word "them" that got him -- maybe he thought I was a Buddhist or something -- or maybe he just got a sudden bout of cold feet. But when I asked if he had 10 seconds to spare for a prayer, his demeanor immediately changed.

He backed away, "No, sorry, not right now." And then he was gone. Wow. I walked away a little puzzled, but I still could see room there for the Holy Spirit to do its work. He was a Christian, which was good, but maybe God could use that encounter to help the man in some way on his walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment