Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 310: Lead foot

He was driving a little red car -- probably gets good gas mileage -- so the "LEADFT2" license tag seemed a little out of place. He was filling up at QuikTrip and was washing his windows when I pulled up to get gas. This was nearly 11 p.m., after Sophia and I got back from her swim meet in McPherson.

The guy was short and a little round, probably in his 50s. I got his attention and he looked at me, one hand still grasping the squeegie. He had a towel in his other hand. I asked him my question. He looked right in my eyes then, "Why?" His tone was slightly accusatory, probably wondering what I was up to. I still very much remember the stern questioning in his eyes.

So I told him about my project. He listened. Then he went back to wiping his windows with the towel. "Well, that's good," he said. But I don't think he thought it was good -- I think he thought it was annoying. So I just did all I could. I asked him if he had 10 seconds so I could pray for him right there. Nothing doing. "I'm in a hurry," he said.

Well, by this time, I was already done filling up with gas, and I didn't need to watch him wash his windows. So I thanked him and left. He was still there when I pulled out of the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment