Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 309: Praying alone

He was a young guy -- really young when I think back on it. I bet he just got out of high school. He probably wasn't much older than that. I saw him cleaning the windows of his car as I was filling up Mary's van after swim practice. This was at the Valley Center Kwik Shop.

Just before the guy got back into his car, I stopped him to ask him my question. He paused and looked at me with his own questioning look. When I told him I wanted to pray for him, a smile of annoyance crossed his face and he shook his head. "I'm good," he said. "I pray for myself." Then he started to get into his car. I quickly thanked him and said I would say my own prayer for him. He still had that annoyed -- and somewhat condescending -- look on his face. Then he was gone.

That's not the first time I've gotten that kind of response, the one where someone makes clear to me that prayer is a private matter and not something he's going to let just anyone butt in on in his life. I wouldn't want to argue with that. For all he knows, I'm a complete kook. I just pray that the people who have offered that response do have alone time with God, that they do pray for themselves and others and that they respond when God calls them in their faith to butt in a little on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment