Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 307: The witch

I don't think I'd ever met a Wiccan before. She was working at Papa Murphy's pizza in Newton. She made two family-sized pizzas for us. So I don't think I'd ever eaten a pizza made by a witch before either. (And according to Wikipedia -- and who doesn't trust that? -- Wiccans really do call themselves witches.)

Anyway, after she handed me the pizzas, I asked her my question. She paused, leaned back a little and said, "Why?" There was a bit of suspicion in her face. So I told her about my project, and she hesitated a little more and then said, "Sure." Then she kind of waved me away. But I stood there and told her I wanted to pray for her right then. Her eyes kind of widened a little, and she really didn't know what to say. So I told her it would just take a few seconds, and I prayed for her in Jesus' name.

While I was praying, one of her co-workers came out of the back room and, apparently surprised by this, just stood there and listened. After the "amen," I told him that the prayer applied to him, too. Then I thanked them and headed for the door. "By the way," she said then, "I'm a Wiccan."

Well, that kind of stops you. I thought about that for a second and the only thing that popped into my head -- with some urgency -- was to confess Jesus. Say his name. "Jesus died to save everyone. He can save everyone," I said then.

She started moving back along the counter then, turning her attention somewhat away from me. "Oh well, I guess it's all the same God," she said. Now that's a false statement. Wiccans don't worship Jesus. But I resolved very early in this project that I would be met, likely, with all sorts of responses and beliefs as I sought to spread God's Word. And I resolved never to be confrontational. In our world, hate and bitterness are in plenty, but Christian love and charity often aren't.

So I just shook my head at her comment. I smiled at her. And I wished her a good evening. It felt unsatisfactory. I wanted to argue. But I had professed my faith. I had professed Jesus. And I trust that the Holy Spirit will work on her heart and provide others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment