Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 291: No time

He was standing next to a red Grand Am, filling it with gas. I was standing on the other side of the pump, filling my Honda Civic. I looked over to him and caught his attention. His shirt said "Triumph," which I took to signify one of the aerospace companies in town. The guy, himself, was probably in his 50s.

I asked him my question. "You can if you want to," he responded. I noticed his teeth for some reason. They weren't straight. Mine aren't either. Then I asked if he had 10 seconds for a prayer right then. He kind of waved me off. "No. No. I don't really have time right now." OK, I told him. But he stuck out his hand then, thanking me anyway, and I shook it.

Then I went back to filling up my car with gas. And he did, too. We stood there for a few moments in silence, and then he walked into the convenience store. When I left, I noticed a small cross hung from his rear-view mirror. I was thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment