Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 300: The lineman

He looked like a regular guy, maybe 45 years old, waiting for his car to fill up with gas. He was driving a Saab. He had a goatee and was wearing a Boise State t-shirt. I asked if I could ask him a question. He stepped right over to me, maybe thinking I was having trouble with the key pad on my side of the gas pump. 

But I asked whether I could pray for him. He said yes almost immediately. He was a friendly guy. "I think people should pray for each other as often as they can," he said. "Do your thing brother." So I prayed for him and his safety, asking God to bless him. And he prayed the same for me.

We talked for a few moments then about what we were up to that night. He said he had just watched a movie with his wife -- "X-Men" -- and they were on their way home. (She was in the passenger's seat.)  

He asked me then what I did for a living and where I worked. I asked him the same thing. He was a lineman for Westar Energy. It was a good job, he said, one that he'd had for 33 years. I must have given him a look then. "I'm older than I look," he said. So I was forced to ratchet up his estimated age by at least five years.

Anyway, it was a good talk -- especially for Day 300. And then he and his wife drove off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment