Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 217: Gotta get going

I didn't want to pray for her. I made one big circle around all the gas pumps at QuikTrip, which was busy tonight, looking for someone else to pray for. No one else was available. So I stopped across from her pump. There was nothing about her that I was afraid of. Really, I was just scared of scaring her. I kind of avoid praying for women in this project for two reasons: 1) I don't want to freak them out; 2) I kind of think guys need the prayers more, to be confronted straight-up with someone who wants to do something for them.

So I was hoping a guy would be there to pray for. But there wasn't. So I asked the woman standing next to her red car whether I could pray for her. My fears largely were realized. She was suspicious of me from the start. She appeared to be a college student, possibly on her way back to school for the week.

At first she said I could pray for her -- "If you want," she said, looking at me uncomfortably. "Well," I said, after I explained my project, "can I pray for you right now? It would just take 10 seconds." Nothin' doing. "I've really gotta get going," she said. And then she turned her back on me.

So I went on home, praying for her safety and that the Holy Spirit would continue working in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment