Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 201: Propane

We had friends over for dinner tonight. We were excited about this. Earlier in the week, we were hoping for good weather -- at least good enough to grill. We want to usher in spring, by force if necessary. So we grilled. And it was windy. And cold. And five minutes after starting the grill, I went outside to find it still was cold. My propane tank was empty. Obviously, things weren't going as planned.

But we didn't let this bother us, and I hopped in the car and drove to Atwoods to replace my empty tank. A young woman unlocked the cage where propane tanks were kept. She looked tired, and a bit frazzled. I asked her about her day. Something with the inventory that day hadn't gone right. She handed me my new tank. I asked her my question.

There was the usual confused pause. She said that would be OK. But she was hesitant about it. She also said it would be OK to pray for her right then -- again very hesitantly. So I prayed. I prayed that God would bring calm into her life. She smiled afterward. "Thank you so much. I needed that," she said.

I was smiling when I went home. I got the grill going, and we had a good evening with our friends. It was hard to grill in the dark, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment