Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 213: John 3:16

When I was driving to work today -- and it was a beautiful morning, one to put you in a great mood -- the folks on KLOVE were talking about how it is March 16. So it is 3/16 day. It's a day to remember John 3:16: "For God so loved the world ... "

The challenge, apparently, was to walk up to someone -- a total stranger -- and tell them that scripture. The hope is that God's Word will be heard, and that at least some people will come to a saving faith. Well. That was right up my alley. So I decided then that I would do it.

Then I sat in my office for about 12 straight hours, working. But I remembered the challenge when I left work, and I began working my way through Old Town, looking for the right opportunity. It was a fairly active night in Old Town. Wednesdays always are kind of a party atmosphere, relatively speaking.

The guy I ended up talking to was walking up to Rock Island, holding his jacket in his hand. He was about my age, with glasses and dressed fashionably.

I didn't know how else to do it, so I just asked him: "Do you know what John 3:16 says?" Obviously, this caught him flat-footed, and he just looked at me blankly. "It's in the Bible," I clarified. Well, he said, he's heard of it, "But I can't quote it to you."

So I explained 3/16 day to him and told him I wanted to tell him John 3:16. He told me I could. So there I was, in the middle of Wichita, standing on the street, quoting the Good News to a perfect stranger. It was great.

After it was done, we just kind of looked at each other. I really hadn't rehearsed in my head what to say next. Finally, I told him I hoped he was a believer. He replied that he was -- "I'm just not one to quote scripture," he said. But he thanked me then for telling it to him, and he shook my hand. I told him I would pray for him, and he thanked me for that, too.

He was very friendly, and very agreeable. Now did anything I said make a bit of difference? I trust that it did.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment