Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 204: A map

I was walking through Old Town and could see a guy standing at one of the large maps they have there, studying it closely. Actually, I couldn't see much of him. The map was between me and him, and all I could see were his feet. So I wondered what I would find when I came past him. Would I know him? Would he be 6-foot-5 and 300 pounds? Would he be one of the homeless guys who walks around Old Town?

He was none of those. I didn't know him. And he was about 5-foot-6, 35 years old and dressed like he'd been at work at a white-collar job. He wore a long black jacket and a beard that was sprinkled with gray. I asked him my question and he looked right at me. This wasn't anything he wanted any part of. He mumbled a "no" and then went back to studying the map. He didn't turn around again.

I just thanked him and kept walking, praying for him as I went. I probably should have offered him directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment