Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 202: Budweiser

He was a short guy driving a big truck. Eye-level for me was the Budweiser logo on his cap. I don't know if he worked for that company or was just a fan or just got a free hat. But he looked at me for a long time, saying nothing, after I asked him my question.

Eventually, I had to break the silence. "I just try to pray for one person every day," I said. "So I'd like to pray for you." He had smile, but it wasn't a warm one. "You can pray for me as much as you want," he said. And then he started to turn back toward his truck, which he was filling up with gas.

My next question stopped him. "Right now?" This brought another long pause. This guy just didn't know what to make of me. I do know he wanted me to go away. So after the silence continued for another moment, I was merciful. "You can say no," I said. He gladly accepted this, saying he didn't want a prayer. "I'm just fine. Really."

And so I thanked him and left. As I was driving out of the QuikTrip lot (I didn't need gas), I spontaneously felt the need to pray that God would wake him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment