Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 8: The blue-haired student

It’s true. Her hair was blue, streaked with some kind of grayish color. I had to drive to Joplin, Mo., this morning to do some work, and she was the first person I saw when I pulled into the gas station. We stood there, about 10 feet apart, watching the dollars add up as we pumped gas. Along with the blue hair, she had several tattoos and was wearing all black – not fully goth, but something along the border of it. I’d guess she was about 20 years old.

I built up the courage once more and asked if I could ask her a question. She immediately put her gas cap down and turned to me. When I asked if I could pray for her, her face brightened and she stepped up on the pump island next to me. I prayed that God would bless her that day and that she would feel his presence.

She thanked me and said she needed that. Turns out, she had a competition that day at beauty school. She noted her hair – I guess that was part of the competition – and said she had been a natural blonde. Not sure what to say to that, I wished her luck. Just before she got back into her car, she thanked me again and told me to have a great day.

I believe God worked through me today. Hope the blue hair won.

By the way, this project is now an interstate one.

No comments:

Post a Comment