Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 7: My mother

It was a sad day, the worst kind of a day. As we were getting ready to leave for church, we got a call from my brother in Colorado. It couldn’t be good news – that time, that day. It wasn’t. My aunt had died in a motorcycle accident. My uncle was in intensive care, on a ventilator. They have three college-age children.

It’s devastating news. News you sit and try to process. I called my mother. She was close to her sister. And as she was vacationing in Colorado anyway, she was there with one of her sister’s sons. So I prayed with her, over the phone, on my knees at our house. I felt God’s presence – His Holy Spirit at work. I prayed for comfort for our family in this time when things were happening that we didn’t understand, that we couldn’t control. But he understands. He has control. And He can bring comfort and peace to broken hearts. Tears were dripping onto my clenched hands by the time I finished.

That’s all for today.

I’ve found comfort in Psalm 139. It’s one of my favorite Scriptures. Here’s vv. 5-10:

“You hem me in – behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.”

1 comment:

  1. Oh Chris - We are so sorry for your loss!

    I have no words...our hearts go out to your folks and their children...

    We love you guys and will join you in prayer!!

    Zach & Lori

    ReplyDelete