Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 15: Idling

I was stuck in the office most of the day today, so I took a walk before I went home from work, thinking maybe God would open a door. I was downtown and most of the evening rush was gone, so the streets were relatively quiet. I eventually circled back to where my car was parked, a little disappointed.

But I did see a guy sitting in his car close to mine. His windows were tinted, but as I walked by, I could see him leaning way back in his seat, texting someone on his phone. It was one of those where I didn't exactly feel God's pull, but the opportunity was there, so I took it. I got in my car, paused a moment for courage and then pulled my car right up alongside his.

This clearly startled him. I motioned for him to roll down his window. When he leaned up to speak to me, I could see him holding a glass bottle. I couldn't see the label. He was a young guy, his hat turned backward. I asked if I could pray for him. He looked away as he considered this and then mumbled an answer that was vaguely in the negative, some mix of "I don't know;" "Not right now;" and "No." I asked if he was sure, and he said he was. So I thanked him and drove off. I prayed for him on my way home.

This is the Scripture I've been studying the past week, and the one I read before leaving work tonight: "Unless I (Jesus) go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment." John 16:7b-8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment