Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 13: An invite

Today, I was obedient. Yes, to God. But also, to one of my spiritual mothers at church. She pulled me aside last Sunday after hearing about this year-long assignment I've been working on. She told me about her nephew, whom she wanted to come to church. He'd be a great addition to our fellowship, she said. She told me where he lived, and I promised to go find him.

So today, I found myself standing on his front porch, ringing the doorbell. I'd been told he was remodeling his home, and the evidence of it was all around. It looked like a big job. He seemed a very nice guy, about my age. He smiled when I told him who sent me, and we had a nice talk. I offered any help with his project, and he thanked me for it. I invited him to church. He made no promises. The conversation lasted no more than five minutes, but I walked away feeling good about it. I fulfilled my promise, and I'd extended a hand outside my normal territory. Who knows where God will take it from here?

Scripture of the day: "For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." -- Philippians 2:13.

No comments:

Post a Comment