Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 3: Two little ladies

I was getting frustrated. It was a busy day at the office. I was out and about very little, stuck instead at my computer working away. So as the day ended, I left the office and began walking around downtown. It was a busy night with people about, but I never really felt God open a door for me. Part of it was courage. Part of it was my words felt blocked. So I got in my car and began driving home

On the way home, I stopped at a gas station. Here it would be, I thought. I had some peace about it. I would spread God's word to someone here. I went inside, thinking mostly about the clerk and bought some M&Ms (for my wife, of course). But the clerk almost immediately was distracted by another customer. I walked out. Either I wasn't being bold enough, or God was blocking me.

So I made my last effort. It would have to work. I went to Wal-Mart. Almost immediately, I saw two little old ladies crossing the parking lot with a shopping cart. One of them had a walker. I parked and walked right up to them. It wasn't intimidating. They just seemed like two friendly women. One of them watched me approach, a quizzical look in her eye. I asked to pray for them. They were surprised, but they smiled and immediately agreed. I'd found believers. They bowed their heads. I was taken back by that. In doing this mission, I imagined this is how it could be -- coming together with someone who willingly acknowledges that he or she needs Christ.

It wasn't much of a prayer, just praying for a blessing on their lives for that day. I thanked them, telling them it was something I was trying to do every day and, after all, it was getting late. The woman with the walker seemed quite pleased and surprised by the gesture and asked who I was "connected to." I told her about the church. They both knew it by people who used to go there. Some had moved on. Some had died. They, themselves, went to a Baptist church in a nearby town.

We chatted for just a few minutes. One said we'd be nowhere without Him. The other said we'd meet again some day "upstairs." And so I left. It was a good feeling as I drove home. Right now, I feel emboldened to ask others: "Can I pray for you?" It's a simple, but demanding, question. Some will find it funny even to be asked, as I found on Day 1. But others -- I think others will appreciate it. I pray that God opens the door to whomever he wishes me to reach.

It was a good day.

Scripture of the day: "By their fruit you will recognize them." -- Matthew 7:16.

No comments:

Post a Comment