Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 1: A guy and his dog

This was the first day. Not sure exactly what I accomplished, but I trust it was something. I pulled into work just before 8 a.m. It was the first day the girls were riding the bus to school in a new school year, so I got to work a little late -- wanting to watch them hop on board, holding hands. As I was getting close to work, I prayed that God would open my eyes to whomever it was I was supposed to reach. Frankly, I wanted to get it over with so it wouldn't hang over my head all day.

In the parking lot at work, I paused. There was a guy sitting in a car in front of me. I could tell he was talking on the phone. Maybe that was him. Then another guy came walking down the sidewalk with his dog. This obviously was a poop walk. He let the dog have its head, sniffing trees, wanting to give it time to finish its morning duty. I remember the man clearly. He was wearing a green shirt and looked very modern. His glasses had those heavy rims and he had a goatee. He was 40, maybe. I figured him for a skeptic. Not sure why, other than the urbane look to him.



I told him I was a Christian -- that's when his eyes turned away -- and that I saw him walking down the street and felt God calling me to ask him if he needed any prayers. A smile crossed his face and he chuckled. I really can't describe the chuckle. It wasn't necessarily condescending. Maybe surprised. And then he said no. That's all he said. I said, "Are you sure? Because I'm willing to pray for you." He was backing off now, turning back toward his walk. No thanks, he said, and then he was gone.

I turned and literally pumped my fist as I headed back to my car. I'd done it. I'd obeyed. It was a huge moment of relief. I sat in my car for several minutes, letting the adreneline wear off, writing notes about what just happened. It didn't take long for doubt to creep in. I guess that's how Satan works. I wondered through the rest of the day whether I'd said the right things, whether I was too abrupt, whether I beat around the bush too much. He did seem to get what I was after, or at least a part of it, when I said I was a Christian. And that, I think, was the end of it for him. He wanted out. I looked away and then started moving away.


So I still wasn't sure how to change my message, and then I read again what God said to Moses, a man who was unsure about his own speaking ability. God said he would give him the words. So I believe God gave them to me, and that this man will be better off for what God said through me -- even though it didn't seem like much. I prayed during the day that God would use that seed in his life.

Scripture of the day: "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." -- Exodus 4:11-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment