Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 293: No and yes

She didn't want anything to do with me. Her face said it all. She was a heavy-set, 40-year-old-or-so woman driving a little SUV, painted bright yellow. She looked at me through her glasses, her facing kind of scrunching up when I asked my question. Then, simply, "No thank you." She turned her back, got in her car and left.

I was at QuikTrip, still filling up with gas. That's when I got sidetracked with a text message from my brother showing a picture of a mountain lake he'd hiked to that day. (He lives in Colorado and was just rubbing it in.) So while I was offering up a response, another little SUV drove up to the gas pump next to mine.

There was a passenger in the front seat, appearing to be asleep. And a woman got out of the driver's seat and began filling up with gas. She was probably in her 50s. I just took it as an extra opportunity and asked her my question as well. She barely hesitated, "Sure." So I prayed for her, particularly for her safety. Then she told me she was headed for Salina that night. She thanked me for the prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment